Senior Graphic & Information Graphic Designer
Graphic Design and Information Graphic Design
Holmes Wood is a world-leading interdisciplinary design studio whose focus is creating wayfinding and information graphics that truly work for the end user in the built environment. Our clients include some of the biggest and best-known galleries, museums and commercial destinations. Our reputation for bespoke, elegant, timeless and effective design comes from our uniqueness in approach to any project. We balance strategy, graphic design, product design and usability, with absolute attention to detail across all aspects of our work.
We are a close knit family of designers from many different design disciplines – Graphic Design, Product Design, Architecture, Engineering – that combine our skills to create truly great work.
As a key member of the Holmes Wood studio, you are a senior graphic designer with demonstrable experience working across the many disciplines of graphic design, with a particular focus on information graphic design.
You are a talented and committed designer, passionate about design, the creative process and design thinking. You will be proactive at involving yourself in all activities across the studio, supporting all members of the design team.
You are a strategic thinker and are capable of applying insights to all design disciplines, further assisting the team in the creation of branding, wayfinding and environmental projects.
You are able to work with direction from the design leads within the studio.
You have strong communication skills and the confidence to both present ideas and get involved in all stages of the creative process, from ideation, to production and implementation both internally and externally to clients.
- Provide a creative and effective role in both information graphic and graphic design for any particular project, working as part of the design team, for a variety of clients with a particular focus on wayfinding projects.
- Participate and contribute in brainstorming/design sprints, conduct any relevant research for projects, adding insight and value.
- Assist in the generation of design concepts for information graphic and graphic design projects in both the built environment and print.
- Develop designs from concept through to final design and on-site delivery with limited support. This includes creating presentations for both internal and external meetings.
- Work collaboratively with the 3d designers to ensure work is fully co-ordinated.
- Attend meetings as required with both clients and contractors, providing clear and effective presentations – visual, written and spoken.
- Liaise with contractors, ensuring all work produced is of the highest quality whilst providing value for money. This includes procuring samples/prototypes.
- Maintain design quality throughout all project phases showing complete attention to detail, with consideration for the end user and how they engage with the studio’s creative output.
- Deliver work to agreed timescale and be able to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Maintain all records and files relating to the design work on any particular project.
- Assist in the development of more junior members of the team.
- Carry out ad hoc duties as requested by appropriate members of the team.
Qualities and essential skills
- Design obsessive, with awareness of best practice in all areas of graphic design
- Strong conceptually, innovative and creative
- Ability to effectively present ideas both visually and verbally
- Excellent typographic skills
- An understanding of materials and product design
- A strong understanding of space and environments, with the ability to be able to effectively assess the appropriateness of design solutions in the built environment
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- High level of interpersonal communication skills
- Flexible, and able to take direction, feedback and observations with a positive attitude
- Good time management, with the ability to meet deadlines and multi-task with minimal supervision
- In depth knowledge of Equality and Accessibility guidelines and best practice principles
- Excellent computer knowledge, minimum Adobe Creative Suite
To apply for this role, please click the Apply button.