Graphic Designer – Come Work in a Castle!
- Laxenburg near Vienna, Austria
- International research institute
- Circa €40k exempt from taxation in Austria
Are you a talented and versatile Graphic Designer? Would you like to work in an Austrian castle?
The International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) is looking for a Graphic Designer to take a leading role in the development of our creative output across all channels. The successful candidate will support the Communications department in developing creative materials and design projects from concept to completion, including: print, digital graphics, web design, figures, photography, and illustration. The role includes the direction of our bi-annual magazine and Annual Report working with both the Communications team and institute colleagues.
The Graphic Designer will ensure that all design collateral enhances the IIASA’s reputation and reinforces institutional key messages internally and externally.
Key Responsibilities of the Graphic Designer:
- Creating compelling designs, illustrations and graphics in a variety of formats, including but not limited to: high profile corporate publications, infographics, web pages, web design elements, digital and social media content, exhibition materials and visual material for scientists
- Developing and promoting IIASA brand guidelines; responsible for ensuring brand presence across a variety of project types and media
- Leading the development and creative direction of IIASA’s bi-annual magazine, including planning/briefing, overall look and feel, photographic direction, and design elements.
- Providing graphic and production expertise to peers and department colleagues and up-skilling colleagues within the department.
- Working with Communications staff, IIASA scientists and IIASA suppliers (e.g., external printers and freelance designers) to produce high quality publications to strict deadlines.
- Managing and developing the way in which IIASA uses new design technology to communicate key messages to stakeholders, striving to discover simple solutions to complex problems
Key Requirements of the Graphic Designer:
- Fluent English
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or related field required; equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
- Three to five years graphic design/production experience
- Creative design experience across a range of channels and formats including: print, digital graphics, infographics, large-format graphics, signage, exhibitions and various other collateral materials, video a plus
- Highly proficient in relevant design software (Adobe Creative Suite), HTML, and all phases of print production .Motion graphics/animation experience is a plus
- A good team player: collaborative, proactive and flexible with strong creative, problem-solving, and multi-tasking skills.
The successful candidate will take up the position in October/November 2017 initially with a fixed-term contract for one year, with the possibility of extension.
IIASA salaries are exempt from taxation in the host country of Austria but subject to the principle of income aggregation.
IIASA offers moving and settlement allowances, educational grants for children of school age, and five weeks’ annual vacation.
Applications must be in English and include:
- A cover letter outlining why you are applying for the role and how you see your potential contribution
- A Curriculum Vitae
- Names, addresses (including email) and telephone numbers of three work-related reference givers
A short PDF portfolio of your work that you feel is relevant to this role (no more than five pages). Please note that applications including portfolios exceeding 5 pages will be disregarded.
Deadline for receipt of applications: 1 September 2017.