Dean of School of Design
THE HONG KONG POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY
SCHOOL OF DESIGN
Dean of School of Design (Ref. 17062601)
[tenable from July 2018]
The School of Design, a leading and transdisciplinary design school, is at the forefront of nurturing responsible, open-minded, creative talents and active learners; contributing to innovation in Hong Kong and the Chinese Mainland while maintaining a global perspective. As top design school worldwide, its diverse design expertise and academic programmes include: Advertising Design, Communication Design, Design Strategies, Digital and Interactive Media Design, Environment and Interior Design, Interaction Design, International Design and Business Management, Product Design, Urban Environments Design; and its recently launched programme in Social Design; spanning undergraduate, postgraduate and PhD programmes. The School’s research and consultancy work are of an applied nature relevant to industrial, commercial and community needs, focusing on three core areas: Design Social, Design Business and Design Making. The School occupies a well-equipped new facility in an inspirational building designed by the late Dame Zaha Hadid, which is well equipped for innovative research and creative learning. Please visit the website at http://www.sd.polyu.edu.hk for more information about the School.
The University is now inviting applications and nominations for the post of Dean of School of Design. The successful candidate will be appointed as Chair Professor/Professor, commensurate with his/her qualifications and experience, and hold a concurrent deanship appointment. The deanship appointment is normally for an aggregate period of six years in two three-year terms of office. Other suitable candidate(s), if deemed appropriate by the University, may be appointed as Chair Professor/Professor.
The position calls for a visionary academic leader with responsibilities of ensuring the smooth and successful operation and sustainable development of the School. Reporting directly to the Deputy President and Provost, the appointee will be required to:
- provide effective leadership in the formulation of a dynamic vision for the School and its long-term development with strategies and plans for its implementation;
- ensure a high quality of teaching as well as holistic development of students, and align the School’s programmes to the needs of the greater community;
- facilitate the conducting of innovative and original research of high quality, and develop genuine cross-disciplinary research with optimal use of research funds;
- provide support to staff members for the accomplishment of strategic objectives with high quality standards
- ensure effective internal communication that leads to transparent decision-making;
- develop and maintain local and international networks of partnerships and linkages with the community, particularly the professional, public and business sectors, so as to gain their support for the major strategic initiatives of the University;
- promote the School’s education and other services to appropriate stakeholders;
- ensure optimal deployment of human, financial and other resources of the School;
- implement effective mechanisms for acquiring donations and other forms of sponsorship to support the University’s pursuits and long-term development; and
- undertake other responsibilities and tasks as may be assigned by the Deputy President and Provost or the President’s designate from time to time.
Applicants should have:
- an advanced degree or professional qualifications in a relevant field, or equivalent combination of education and professional accomplishments;
- a distinguished record of professional and/or academic achievements;
- an international reputation in research and scholarship;
- a strong capacity for attracting funding for programmes and/or research/consultancy projects;
- strong leadership and strategic management skills with demonstrated success in leading and managing academic or other complex organizations;
- demonstrated knowledge and experience required to implement the educational goals of a world-class institution;
- knowledge of current trends in design and design education;
- a strong international network of partnerships and linkages within the academic, design, business and industrial communities; and
- a global perspective, proven qualities of leadership and the ability to work with faculty members of various disciplines and with different cultural backgrounds.
Remuneration and Conditions of Service
Terms of appointment and remuneration package are negotiable and highly competitive.
Applicants are invited to send detailed curriculum vitae with the names and addresses of three referees and direct any enquiries to the Human Resources Office, 13/F, Li Ka Shing Tower, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong [Fax: (852) 2764 3374; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org], quoting the position being applied for and the reference number. Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Initial consideration of applications will commence in September 2017. Candidature may be obtained by nomination. The University reserves the right to make an appointment by invitation or not to fill the position. General information about the University is available on the University’s Homepage http://www.polyu.edu.hk or from the Human Resources Office [Tel: (852) 2766 5293]. The University Personal Information Collection Statement for recruitment can be found at http://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/job/en/guide_forms/pics.php.
More jobs like this
- Permanent Unspecified Project Manager Advertising jobs in Hong Kong
- Permanent Unspecified Project Manager Branding jobs in Hong Kong
- Permanent Unspecified Project Manager Digital / Web jobs in Hong Kong
- Permanent Unspecified Project Manager Other jobs in Hong Kong
- Permanent Unspecified Project Manager Product jobs in Hong Kong